Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Module 1 Discussion: What Influences Housing Choices
  • 1. Review the factors described on the preceding pages. Based on your experience (or intuition) of working with military home buyers and sellers in your area, arrange the following factors in order from most to least important.

Factors that influence housing choice:

• Affordability and building equity
    • In or away from military community
    • Quality of residence
    • Safety, security of neighborhood
    • Quality of schools
    • Time to commute
    • Housing choice availability
    • Length of tour

Are there other factors that influence the housing choices of military families?
    How do the priorities compare with civilians’ housing preferences?

After you have posted to this discussion, review your colleagues’ comments and reply to at least one other post.
  • It's important to remember the family pet and having a home that accommodates them.
  • 1. Affordability and equity.
    2. Quality of Residence.
    3. Time to commute.
    4. Quality of Schools
    5. Safety, Security of Neighborhood.
    6. Housing choice availability.
    7. In or Away from Military Community
    8. Length of Tour.

Affordability is always the first thing my clients are looking for.
  • I have yet to work with military families, however, I am a daughter, sister, and spouse of military veterans and the following would be what my husband and myself, brothers, and my parents have considered throughout the years when moving around.

1. affordability land equity
    2. Safety, Security of Neighborhood
    3. Quality of Schools
    4. Quality of Neighborhood
    5. Time to commute
    6. In or away from Military community
    7. Housing choice availability
    8. length of tour
  • 1. affordability land equity
    3. Quality of Schools
    4. Quality of Neighborhood
    5. Time to commute
    6. In or away from Military community
    8. length of tour
  • Charlene,

My priority list is the same, i think for most part they all are because after affordability automatically comes safety as military people are not from the community and they have be away all the time.
  • I would agree with the other realtor comments, affordability and location that is good for both adults commute as well as proximity to community, school, shopping resources would be important.
  • 1. Affordability and equity
    3.Quality of residence
    4.Quality of Schools
    5. Time to commute
    6. length of tour
    8. In or away from Military community

There are other factors that influence housing choices for military families such as their extended family.
    Their priorities aren't any different from a civilian's housing preference. We all would take those things into consideration when looking for housing ourselves.
  • My comment is that I believe that all of these factors need to be presented to each family and let them prioritize what is important to them.
  • Yes I agree, we simply present the offerings according to their likes...yet ultimately it is the clients decision.

• Factors that influence housing choice:

• Choice of Housing Available
    • Quality of residence
    • Quality of schools
    • Time to commute
    • Length of tour
    • In or away from a military community

Are there other factors that influence the housing choices of military families?

Yes, restrictions on pets has a huge influence on where military members move. On base they have breed restrictions, so those with Chow's, Rottweiler's, Boxers, Bulldog's and Pitbull's cannot live on base. If an HOA restriction on breed or number of dogs, the military member might not be able to live there depending on what the restrictions say.

How do the priorities compare with civilians’ housing preferences?
    I think military members priorities compare relatively the same as a civilian. After all, I'm an active duty military spouse I should know. The first thing we look at is where are communities we can find the type of house we're looking for (single family home, but not a townhome) and how big the parcel is. When we buy a house we make sure we get a good deal and look into forecast of the area. For example, We bought our house at $357k and now we could sell it for $418k only a year later. We would walk away with money in our pocket. Next we look at the schools, they have to be great, because we have four kids. Next we look at the quality of the neighborhood, we want it to be safe for the kids, if it's not in a safe area, we aren't going to buy there. The next thing we look at is the quality of the residence, we know we can fix thing and afford to invest and do some improvements when we move in, we just don't want a home that has mold and underlying issues, probably why we always have home inspection done. We don't care to be around drama on the military bases, so we tend to live off post. The commute doesn't matter to us personally, just as long as our kids are gong to well ranked schools. A lot of military members I know the commute would be one of their top priorities to be thirty minutes or closer to base, it's really a personal preference, so definitely ask your client about their ideal commute. The length of tour doesn't affect us, but it will make some buyers not want to buy if they're only going to be there 2 years, they don't think they'll have enough equity to get anything out of it and they won't want the hassle of trying to sell.
  • 1. Length of tour
    2. Safety, security of neighborhood
    3. In or away from military community
    4. Time to commute
    5. Affordability and building equity
    6. Quality of residence
    7. Quality of schools
    8. Housing choice availability

• length of tour
    affordability
    housing choice availability
    quality of residence
    " of schools
    safety
    time to commute
    in or away
  • 1. Length of tour
    2. Affordability & building equity
    3. Housing Choice Availability
    4. Safety, security, of neighborhood
    5. Quality of residence
    6. Quality of schools
    7. Time to commute
    8. In or away from military community
  • 1Affordability and building equity
    2 Length of tour
    3 Safety, security of neighborhood
    4 Quality of schools
    5 In or away from military community
    6 Quality of residence
    7 Time to commute
    8 Housing choice availability
  • • Affordability and building equity
    • Quality of schools
    • Quality of residence
    • Time to commute
    • Length of tour

• Quality of schools
    • Quality of residence
    • Time to commute
    • Length of tour

It all depends on the location and branch of service you are located. Some bases you would not even consider moving off base, whereas other bases you wouldn't consider living on base. I've had the privilege of being active duty, spouse, and a child of an active duty member. Therefore I have been assigned to 7 different bases and each base has its unique circumstances.

• • Length of tour
    • Quality of residence
    • Quality of schools
    • Time to commute

The housing choice priorities of military families are not all that different from those of civilian families. Length of tour and proximity to military community are the only priorities that civilian families would not need to consider.

As others have said, pet friendly housing is another important thing to consider.
  • -length of tour
    -affordability and building equity
    -time to commute
    -housing choice availability
    -safety, security of neighborhood
    -quality of residence
    -quality of schools
    -in or away from military community

Length of tour is definitely the main focus because it sets up all of the other parameters for their home purchase/renting choices. Pet friendly is key because as a veteran, that was a huge deal to me and to many of my friends that still serve. The key to all of this is finding out what the buyers goal is if they purchase. Are they looking to resell in a few years or keep it as an investment for possibly retirement later.
  • Based on my experience with friends and clients in the military, the following apply in this order.

Affordability and building equity
    Quality of residence
    Time to commute
    Quality of schools
    Length of tour
    Housing choice availability
    Safety, security of neighborhood
    In or away from military community
    and additionally, the ability to have pets without restrictions!
    • Length of tour
    • Quality of residence
    • Quality of schools
    • Time to commute

That's a good idea to present these priorities and ask them to list it. I think building equity and length of tour will always be important. Doing the research on different neighborhoods and their historical data will show if it typically holds value or goes up. Knowing what the rock bottom for a neighborhood helps so that they know if they need to sell what the lowest price that neighborhood has seen can be a big help.
  • I've worked with both active/retired military. With few, but notable, exceptions (like length of tour) they're like the rest of us. Therefore, what's important to CPL Smith may be less or more important to PFC Jones. But, in general, they want a nice house in a safe neighborhood, where kids, if they have them, can attend a good school.

Quality of residence
    Quality of schools
    Time to commute
    Length of tour
  • I find that military families want the same things as regular families- safe neighborhoods, clean living environment and welcoming environment for their children/pets.
    • Quality of residence
    • Quality of schools
    • Time to commute
    • Length of tour
  • Factors that influence housing choice:

• Length of tour
    • Quality of residence
    • Quality of schools
    • Time to commute

Military families look for the same things civilian families do. The biggest influence on military families housing choices is, the length of time assigned at a duty station. A short assignment would most likely favor renting over buying.
  • I agree with you Kathy, that military families share similiar preferences when it comes to housing. It's been my experience however, that due to the stable and predictable nature of the service members job, duty location, and income, they are more focused on what is important to them in relation to housing needs.
  • I believe that the key Factors that influence housing choice by order of importance are as follows:
    • Length of tour (this will help the client decide whether they’d like to rent vs buy)
    • Safety, security of neighborhood with a close second for....
    • Quality of schools
    • Quality of residence
    • Time to commute

Another factor that may influence the housing choices of military families are incentives from lenders as well as builders/sellers if the service member is purchasing a home.
  • Hello, I am Jimmy Hanks and I am a disabled US Army veteran. I am located in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and there are a number of military duties and outfits throughout the area. One of the main things that influence housing choices around here is time left in service, time expected to be at this duty station and size of family. Given that information it then becomes important to understand the drive time here in this area based on where formations are held or where they must report every morning. I think it is important to understand not only costs but resell when it is time to move to the next duty station as well as location for safety of the neighborhood and also schools seem to be a huge important factor all the way around.
  • There are many priorities that affect housing choices.
    The number of family members, future deployments, safe & secure neighborhood, spousal employment, quality of schools, distance, pets, price, and community, are just a few. Each family will have different needs.
  • My list is in this order:
    Pet
    Quality of residence
    Quality of schools
    Time to commute
    Length of tour
  • Time to commute
    Quality of Schools
    Length of tour
    Quality of residence
  • Length of tour
    Quality of residence
    Quality of schools
    Time to commute

Other factors that influence the housing choices of military families - Pets, proximity to friends/family and current and future size of the family. Everyone is different. Each family will have circumstances unique to them that will influence their decision.

How do the priorities compare with civilians’ housing preferences? I think they are similar except the length of tour and in or near a military community.
  • Length of tour
    Time to commute
    Pet friendly
    Quality of residence
    Quality of schools
  • The frequency and duration of deployments may impact the location suitable for the family. Some families may want to be a little further from the base or military community so they can better integrate into the local community.
  • Length of tour
    Quality of schools
    Quality of residence
    Time to commute
  • - Quality of school
    - Safety, security of neighborhood
    - Time to commute
    - Length of tour
    - Housing choice availability
    - Quality of residence
    - Affordability and building equity
    - In or away from military community

• Length of tour
    Housing Choice Availability
    Quality of Schools
    Time to Commute
    Quality of Residence

• Outside of length of tour and In or away from military community, I think military and civilian concerns are similar.
  • Length of tour
    Affordability & building equity
    Quality of residence
    Quality of Schools
    Time to commute

I'm in the Northeast Florida area, near Jacksonville. We have 3 major military bases nearby. I think for our local market, there is less of a concern for some of these items. For example this is such a veteran filled, and veteran friendly area that being in or away from the military community is irrelevant. On base or off, veterans find a strong support system here, which is of course, why so many choose to stay here after their tour is up.

Length of tour
    Quality of schools
    Quality of residence
    Time to commute

• I have been told the shipyard in Boston has parking issues, so proximity to the T or bus routes here in MA. If a family member has a medical issue that requires specialized care that is not available at the local base would be an influence. Proximity to family and/or friends if they are in the area and the ability to have pets, are all additional factors that I feel would influence the housing decision here in MA.
  • I believe civilians are willing to deal with a longer commute, when it allows them to find a home that fits their budget and needs. A commute that takes 1.5+ hours may not be doable for military personnel, but for a civilian that could also work from home, it would be a viable option for housing.
    Time to commute
    Quality of schools
    Quality of residence
    Length of tour

Priorities are about the same between mil and civ
  • Length of tour
    Time to commute
    Quality of schools
    Quality of residence

Quality of residence
    Quality of schools
    • Time to commute
    • Length of tour
  • Time to commute
    Quality of schools
    Quality of residence
    Length of tour
  • Length of Tour
    Safety, Security of the neighborhood
    Quality of Residence
    Quality of schools
    Time to Commute
    In or away from the military community
  • Affordability
    Safety
    Quality of residence
    Schools
    Time of Commute
    Length of Tour
  • Affordability
    Schools
    Commute
    Length of Assignment
    Safety
    Housing Quality
  • Length of tour
    Safety
    Affordability
    Quality
    Commute
    schools
  • Affordability and opportunity to build equity
    Close to or away from Military community
    Safety, security, quality of the neighborhood
    Quality of the schools
    Time to commute
    Length of tour

Military families and civilian families have some similar housing priorities.