Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Module 2 Discussion: Helping kids with the move
  • 1. Have you worked with military families with kids? What are some of the tactics you have used to make the moving process easier? What worked and what didn’t work?

After you have posted to this discussion, review your colleagues’ comments and reply to at least one other post.
  • As their closing gift (buyers) I included things that would occupy the children's time like coloring books and iTunes gift cards. Helped the parents on moving day.
  • I liked the scrapbook idea to collect friends info, pictures of friends, home, and favorite places.
    I would also ask if I could have their new address to send birthday gift to their new home
  • Well my family is the family that I have worked with when PCSing! :D I have always made sure that that my daughter had everything she loves, Books, coloring books and markers/crayons, small toys and stuffed animals. I know this sounds like a lot but it is well worth it! Also, I have always made moving an adventure! We would look up things do and places to explore that would be fun!!
  • It is important for military families to remain in contact. To ensure this the kids should obtain addresses and connect with friends on Social Media if applicable. For the younger children can read and learn about the new location in a book format.
  • Kids are resilient but they have soft hearts normally. The sellers children will not want to leave their friends. Offer to take a photo and ask the school principal post it at the school. Identify interests from your buyers on their children.
  • When they are moving to town, have a list ready of kid friendly things to do
  • Send them regular updates of kids items happening in and around the city.
  • For family that are moving I have provided small gifts for each of the children to open each hour of the driving or flying time. I have been told this was a help as it made each of the hours more bearable knowing there was something to look forward to. My father was military and my mom did this for my sister and I. For buyers moving to the area I have made lists of activities for the areas they are looking into and for buyers if I refer them to an agent I ask that they provide the same information on the buy side.
  • I love the scrapbook idea and collection contact info for friends to stay in touch.
  • I have bought 2 clocks for a kid so that they know what time it is where they live and the other clock with what time it is for their friends. This specially works when a family is moving overseas.
  • I have not worked with a military family yet. My brother was in the Marines so I'm aware of how his family was affected.
  • Have you worked with military families with kids? Not yet!
    What are some of the tactics you have used to make the moving process easier? If I were to work with a military family with kids, I would offer support to the parents! We have a lot of groups that offer support to both moms and dads in the area, and there are tons of activities for kids of all ages to participate in.
    What worked and what didn’t work?
  • I have not worked with a military family with kids, but I was in a military family. My parents did a good job of knowing what activities were in the area we moved to; it's possible their Realtor assisted them with that, but as a child it definitely helped me and my sister. I like the idea of providing information for moving families or incoming families with sports, groups, activities for their children after learning their interests.
  • I have not yet worked with at military family. One idea I do have is goody bags with simple, age appropriate items to occupy the kids during the move and as they settle in. Kids (young and old) love goodie bags. I would also put together a package of resources for the parents (local parent publications with local children's vendors and activities, the local recreation guide, etc.) so that families can see what is available in their community. These community resources are often a great way to meet other families in their new communities.
  • Work with the family to help with the adjustment for the children in areas such as schools and activities in the new location. Provide the family with a packet from the local chamber of commerce helping them adjust to the new town.
  • I have worked with veterans, but not with active duty military with children. This has been an eye-opening section of the course, however; it has made me look again at what our military folks sacrifice on a regular basis.
  • I think many of the suggestions this mod has shown me are excellent. I am going to compile a list by zip code and school districts to give to the families I come in contact with.
  • I have never personally worked with military members that have had children. However having children myself one of the ways I would make it easier is with a list of places and activities for the children. In my area there are several things for kids to do and I think the list with directions for the family would help a lot.
  • I have not yet worked with any military families but was a military spouse myself. I completely understand how moving effects families. It is so much easier now to compile resources and present it to the different family members to help complete a smooth transition.
  • Have worked with military family and am a daughter of military family. In both instances. No issues. Transition was easy.
  • Our community is small but a bit unique. I try to give families moving away something to take with them to remember. Maybe a Christmas ornament to remember their home here. I take professional photos of the home for sale. I can use the photo to make the ornament. I use a key shaped flash drive to put all closing documents and photos to give a closing.
  • I always included the children when searching for a new home. I called them by their first names, let them familiarize themselves inside and outside of the home we were looking. I would ask them what room they liked and what they liked and did not like in the home. Their feedback was very important. I wanted them to feel comfortable with the environment and my self. I listened to their questions, and if they were tired I would not push taking them around. I made it fun for the whole family and when we regrouped it felt as if we had known each other a long time.
  • I like the scrapbook idea, offer to get their pictures printed. I have not had the opportunity to help anyone with this yet.
  • How about getting a momento specific to the area for sellers. Buyers I try to include the kids and tell them all about the school or fun things we do in our area to give them something to look forward to.
  • I have worked with veterans, but not active service members with kids. Providing scrapbook, games and other activities for the move would be helpful for the transition.
  • I have not dealt with this, but I think a scrapbook sounds like a great idea.
  • I really like the scrapebook idea. And the idea about giving them a "gift" to open every hour along the trip. Planning on supplying them with as much information is also key about the new location as possible to make the transistion as smooth as possible.
  • Provide toys for young children to play with while doing the marathon weekend home search. For older kids, draw them into conversation during the search.

Find out what the kids like and surprise them with things of value. This will help them ease into the new place and neighborhood.
  • I have worked with a few military families, with older children I usually try to include them in to the conversation during showing them homes. Making them feel as if they are a part of the decision in some way. Sometimes it helps the parents to see where the kids are in the process by talking to a non family member. I have never thought of giving a goodie bag to the kids. Will add that into my things to do. I always have juice boxes or water on hand and lite snacks if its a long day of showing to share.
  • I think having a good knowledge of the school districts, and/or available off base childcare will be the most beneficial to the parents. But passing along information like where the local zoo is, or skating rink, etc. will help the children the most. I personally like the idea of making it an adventure for the younger kids. For the older children including them in the conversation when showing potential homes would be idea. Allowing them to feel that their voice counts too.
  • Both military families that I have worked with, the serviceman was retired in each case. One a disabled veteran. The Marine's family was not here and although I stopped back in after they arrived, the kids were not around. I discussed some things to do for the kids, but they had already settled in. I am not as connected to the Marine's family.

The disabled Vet has children I met several years ago when some were babies and toddlers. When I visit, I chat with each of the kids and see how they are doing. They had previously lived in MA and I had helped them get a rental. We also stay in touch via Facebook.

So, while I have worked with families, I did not interact with the kids until after the move.
  • Provide small gifts for the children
  • I have toys in the office and crayons and books . Having a list of daycares and schools will be helpful.
  • I think being aware of the interests for the kids and adults is important. I'm sure any assistance would greatly appreciated.
  • I have and gave them a basket of TN goodies (GooGoo Clusters, Moon Pies and RC Cola). They had been OCONUS for the children's' entire lives. I also gave gift certificates to local book store as the children had discussed favorite books with me. I gave a book on
    TN gardening to mom to garden with the children. We discussed which rooms everyone would like in various houses, which yards were good for playing in, etc.
  • Give them coloring books, magazines that show what is there to see and do, where they are moving. Talk to the children how they will decorate their rooms.
  • I have not had the opportunity to work with military children yet. I am a fairly new agent.
  • Helping them connect with other groups, that are similar to the groups they were connected to in the area from which they moved, makes a lot of sense.
  • Having been moved every two years with my military career, the kids are most nervous about the schools and the neighborhoods if there will be kids their age. I think if you really know your schools, it helps. One thing I always did, and I would recommend is that you suggest that your military member and their family visit the various schools that serve the locations where you are looking. Sometimes, that alleviates a lot of stress for the kids because they can see the school. Even if there is no class in session, they see the building, and get to see what they will be doing when they get there.
  • I have recently worked with a military family with kids and I talked with them and asked if they were excited about their home. I asked them about what room they liked, how they would decorate and I let my clients walk the house while I kept the kids busy. I made sure the kids felt included. This made the family happier and made the search easier.

I focused on things like parks and playgrounds, schools etc and made sure to point out the locations or drive to the locations where these things were so they had an idea of the locations. Luckily they got the perfect home and yard space and close to the playground for the kids.
  • I include a gift for the kids as a closing gift. Something to help keep them entertained and occupied. Sometimes a book on moving, some snacks, toys, it just depends on the child.
  • I try to get kids involved.
    Listing Agreement for kids: If room is kept clean (mom will keep me posted), they get a $20 gift card to favorite store.
    All of my clients were moving in the area so I have not had a travel pack yet.
    If they are young it would be easy to find cute gifts. Gift cards for older kids unless I know exactly what they want.
  • I live in the sticks. Dirt bikes and ATV's are popular if you have some land. Video games for when the broken bones are healing. It is probably best that I don't have children. I'll shut up now.
  • I have not helped a military family move. As a child, my father's work required travel, and we also moved about 6 times before I was 10. I remember feeling so out of place when we finally moved to our home. Everyone else in school seemed to know each other from childhood. I was trying to keep in touch with my friends through the mail and an occasional phone call 1-2 times per year. I have family who are enlisted, although many choose to keep a home here in the States and just go serve for the time required before returning home. This too, can be hard on kids, since they do not see a parent for a while. Combat duty is different from other duty assignments, however, so I am sure that there are many more servicemen and women who would be moving within the United States.
    I would love to prepare a graphic flyer with information for kids and teens to help them locate activities or groups. I think it would be really nice to find a weekend activity and invite a family, so that they could experience the local community and have an enjoyable time. Of course, talking to the family and kids is most important because kids need to be heard, and I think it would help to hear what a child has to say about fears and hopes and likes and dislikes. If a child feels like her needs or his needs are being addressed, the transition can be easier.
  • Create a binder with information that would relate to all ages of the family members. This could include league sport information, dance studios, churches (if applicable), gyms, etc. Taking the work out of parents finding this information can create excitement about a new community and help alleviate fear and anxious anticipation.
  • I worked with military families when I was licensed years back- we were also military at the time and to tell you the truth, I didn't have children then, so I don't think i was really aware of the impact the move made on the kids. Now that I have children of my own, if I had a realtor that took my kids happiness into consideration, and tried to do or supply things to make things a little easier on them, it would mean a great deal to me and I would absolutely think of them whenever the word "realtor" came up.
  • I would talk to the kids and learn what they like to do and maybe talk to schools to have a welcoming group to help these new kids acclimate in their schools. I would also get free magazines of what is happening in the neighborhoods and facebook groups for their community
  • I don’t have experience helping kids with a move, but I’m looking up school ratings would be beneficial.
  • The Military families I have worked with have either had kids who were extremely excited about their new home OR the kids were so young that they didn't know the difference.. So I haven't really come across it being an issue yet.